Page 1 / 4
Position Title:Senior Regional Thematic Specialist
(Irregular, Mixed and Assisted Migration)
Pretoria, South Africa
Official, Grade P4
Type of Appointment
Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
July 12, 2012
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for East and Southern Africa in Pretoria, the thematic oversight of the Migrant Assistance Division at Headquarters (HQ)
OPEN TO INTERNAL AND NON-REPRESENTED
MEMBER STATES CANDIDATES
IOM has a proactive recruitment policy to increase the representation of nationals of non- represented member states. Qualified applicants from the following countries will be favorably considered:
Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Benin, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Jamaica, Lesotho, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Maldives, Malta, Mauritania, Micronesia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, Nauru, Niger, Nigeria, Paraguay, Rwanda, Seychelles, Slovenia, Somalia, South Sudan, Swaziland, Timor Leste, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu, Yemen
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
and in coordination with other relevant Divisions, the successful candidate will act as a regional thematic resource person; monitor and analyse regional thematic trends including those related to human trafficking, smuggling, irregular and forced migration and mixed migration flows; support regional thematic project development; and review and endorse projects related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the region.
The Senior Regional Thematic Specialist (RTS) will also coordinate and lead the project endorsement team in RO Pretoria.
Core Functions/ Responsibilities:
1. Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support to Country Offices (CO) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring.
2. Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by CO in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQ Division on projects endorsed. Ensure that all endorsed projects are:
a) consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization's policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies;
b) coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective migration/thematic area(s);
c) developed according to IOM's project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects.
3. Identify emerging issues relevant to the thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy and reports. Monitor developments in the thematic area, in close collaboration with the Regional Liaison and Policy Officer (RLPO), CO and relevant HQ Departments.
4. Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects, (including, but not limited to the Mixed Migration flows from the Horn of Africa) in the thematic area and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas, in close coordination with the Regional Project Development Officer (RPDO), and other thematic specialists.
5. Participate in and actively contribute to IOM's network of RTSs globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant HQ Divisions and CO.
6. Develop regional thematic guidance notes, information sheets and policy documents in coordination with the RLPO, CO and relevant HQ Division(s).
7. Provide thematic guidance to Project Managers through sharing information with the CO at the regional level and providing general technical support upon request from the Field in coordination with the RLPO.
8. Ensure the delivery of quality thematic training to governments as required by CO in the region.
9. Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Regional Director.
10. Act as Head of the Project Endorsement Team and oversee the work of RTS, Regional Project Development Officer, Regional Monitoring & Evaluation Officer and Regional Project Development Assistant .
11. Oversee the project endorsement process to ensure proposals are received and reviewed in good time.
12. Provide guidance, advice and support to team members and ensure mutual support and coordination between team members and between team members and other RO staff.
13. Communicate with the COs on project development and endorsement matter on behalf of the RO.
14. Support the development of a regional strategy.
15. Perform such other duties that may be assigned.
a) takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism; b) works effectively with all clients and stakeholders; c) promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly; d) takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management; e) plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; f) displays mastery of subject matter; g) contributes to a collegial team environment; h) creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA); i) incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; j) displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; k) works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
a) works effectively with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration issues and the work of IOM; b) effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context; c) correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
a) completed Master's degree from an accredited academic institution, preferably in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations and/or Law; b) eight years of experience (or ten years of experience for candidates with a first level university degree) in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management; c) demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development; d)
knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage; e) experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs; f) knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
Thorough knowledge of English. Knowledge of French or Portuguese an advantage.
1. The tenure of contract of staff members holding a regular contract will remain unchanged.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by July 12, 2012 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pid/165
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly filled in and submitted with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application in your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 28.06.2012 to 12.07.2012
VN 2012/46 (O)-Senior Regional Thematic Specialist (P4) - Pretoria, South Africa
Posting: VN 2012/46 (O)-Senior Regional Thematic Specialist (P4) - Pretoria, South Africa (54440172) Released
Friday, 6 July 2012
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: OVC Specialist, Zambia Location: Zambia - Lusaka Division: International Operations Description Save the Children Summary Th...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...
Job Title:Regional OPCO Lead Duties and Responsibilities: Driving all the HUB process. Responsible for EUS / ES. Responsible for...