Job Title:Engineer: Transmission - Bloemfontein (1 Vacancy)
Location of position
• To perform high-level support functions on all MTN transmission equipment used in MTN's Network.
• Implementation and introduction of cross connect equipment to the MTN Network. Maintaining and administrating the transmission management system. Design, compilation and reporting on the availability of the transmission network in light of the Service Level Agreement. To ensure network expansion is carried out to schedule.
• Supervise technical activities; vision and expertise ensuring staff competencies meet the convergent technological challenges of the future.
• To perform high-level support functions on all MTN transmission equipment at Switching Centres and BTS sites.
• Project manage the delivery of all transmission capacities at required service levels (99.5 or 99.95)
• To administer accurate data within the current database i.e. accurate tracking of RFQ's and orders placed with Telcos and any changes thereof, Co-ordination of the acceptance testing of all telco delivered links.
• To report on the availability of the Transmission Network in light of the telco SLA and address Special Investigations on Links not meeting the requested and supplied Service Level.
• Interface to telco to escalate "Major Link Outages" on failures, Special Investigations on repetitive failures and Links not meeting the agreed Service Level.
• Co-ordinate meetings with telcos, regarding new link deliveries, diverse routing 99.95 and planning of transmission from MTN's infrastructure.
• To swiftly diagnose and clear any faults or alarms assigned to you by trouble ticket, or ensure escalation to vendor if unable to fix. To close or forward all trouble tickets promptly.
• To maintain a sound working relationship between the network group and all associated parties, within the company and external.
• To ensure that all planned network expansions take place on schedule.
• To maintain a comprehensive set of records including all transmission links on transmission Nodes and availability of transmission equipment demands and spares and provide training to staff in the Region.
• Control the rollout and interface to Telkom with the installation of the Surveillance Monitoring equipment supplied and installed by Telkom.
• Assist with the operational establishment and development of new MTN networks in the international arena.
• Provide on-the-job training and guidance too new and replacement employees
• Installation and commissioning of transmission nodes, including vendor specific technologies
• To be fully conversant in the various types of RBS equipment. This includes troubleshooting and faultfinding, link analysis, RF functionality, power equipment etc.
• Submit reports to designated management, as per requirements.
• Ensure objectives set by management are achieved within the measured period and as per KPI’s
Supervisory / Leadership / Managerial Tasks:
• To project manage all Transmission aspects in the Region & contractors ensuring due dates and quality are strictly adhered to.
• Supervise staff and training programs.
• Devise methods and systems to improved performance of staff and the service provided to our customers.
• Good inter-personal skills with MTN Staff, contractors and customers and build a good future working relationship.
• Minimum qualification is a National diploma N6,S4,T3 in electrical light-current/electronics/communication engineering. Higher National diploma or degree will be advantages.
• Code 8 EB drivers licence
• Must have natural leadership and supervisory ability with a minimum of five years' experience in the telecoms industry.
• Transmission experience. ( 2, 34, 140 M/bit, STM, SDH equipment, IP.)
• Radio frequency propagation and radio/Micro Wave equipment installation and or maintenance.
• Experienced in working in elevated positions.
• Computer literate with Windows and MS Office experience
• Prepared to work long hours and travel long distances.
• A good knowledge of the operation, maintenance, planning and implementation of Digital Transmission, Microwave RF transmission and multiplexing systems.
• A good knowledge of 2, 34, 140 M/Bit and STM transmission architecture.
• Computer literate with practical experience in the use of the Microsoft Office suite using the Windows OS.
Skills / physical competencies:
• Motivated & innovative self-starter
• Prepared to work long hours
• Handles working under stress and meeting deadlines
• Uses initiative in solving technical problems
• Can work in elevated positions, not scared of heights.
• Competent in the use of mechanical & electrical hand tools.
• Have good communication skills resolving conflict and negotiate win-win solutions
• Self-Disciplined, motivated, energetic self –starter with an exemplary work ethos.
• Proven initiative and innovation with the ability to work under stress while meeting deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to motivate & control contractors.
• Be of sober disposition.
Reference No: IRC65863
Position Type: Permanent
Affirmative Action: Open to All
• A sound knowledge of Transmission or Microwave and RF systems.
• Elementary training in personnel management covering supervisory fundamentals.
• Computer literate with a good knowledge of the MSOffice packages and the ability to set up spreadsheet, databases and presentations.
Applications close 22 Jun 2012.
How to Apply;
Friday, 22 June 2012
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Biomedical Prevention) ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESI...
Job Title:Construction Manager Location: Monrovia, Liberia FLSA: Exempt Core Sector: Infrastructure Experience Level: Regular Full-time ...