Job Title: CONSULTANCY FOR MEDIA SPECIALIST FOR COPAC PROJECT
Location : Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline : 10-Jan-12
Additional Category Millennium Development Goals
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 16-Jan-2012
Duration of Initial Contract : Five months
Expected Duration of Assignment : Five months
Refer a Friend Apply Now
For many years, Zimbabwe has endeavored to comprehensively reform its pre- independence constitution to bring it in line with the aspirations of the population and to ensure its suitability in a new democratic dispensation. This need has been recognized by the principals in the Global Political Agreement (GPA) signed on September 15, 2008 between ZANU (PF), MDC-T and MDC-M, which provides for a comprehensive people-driven constitution making process beginning in April, 2009. In order to comply with the provisions of the GPA, the country has taken some significant steps to implement the constitutional reform process including appointing the Constitution Parliamentary Select Committee (COPAC), relevant thematic committees, convening the first stakeholder conference holding of public consultations, uploading of raw data from the field into electronic format, data analysis and writing of district and provincial reports. Currently, the project is finalizing pre-drafting process arrangements for the drafting of the constitution to begin.
In order to enhance its capacity to continue providing substantive support to the constitution making process in particular for the remaining key activities such as the drafting process and the Second Stakeholder Conference, the UNDP CO is looking to recruit a consultant with demonstrated experience in publicity and media campaign around informing and educating the public on participatory constitution making processes as well as popularizing draft constitutions. The consultant is expected to provide technical support and expertise including sharing experiences and best practice with the UNDP CO and COPAC for the remaining activities of the constitution making process such as drafting, preparations for the Second Stakeholder Conference and publicity leading to the referendum. Critically, the consultant is expected to provide technical expertise in developing and implementing a media tracking/monitoring tool to gauge effectiveness of the publicity campaign and where there are gaps, to improve on this.
Recognizing that the capacities for the making of a Constitution that is based on democratic principles requires further strengthening in order to ensure transparency, effective participation by the population and credibility of the entire process and its outcome, the Government of the Republic of Zimbabwe supported by UNDP and other Development Partners have developed this Project of support to participatory constitutional making in Zimbabwe.
The Project’s main goal is to strengthen national capacities for the implementation of a transparent, impartial, inclusive and participatory constitutional making process, with a particular focus on strengthening the national leadership of the Parliamentary Select Committee and its sub-Committees and engagement of the media, other civil society, the private sector, the academia as well as development partners, in contributing to this overall goal.
Hence, UNDP Zimbabwe is calling for proposals from Media Specialists for a five-months consultancy. The detailed procurement notice and the Annexes are available at the Procurement Notices website - http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=8104
Applicants, kindly note that selection will be strictly based on procurement procedures on the evaluation of Technical proposals first based on the cirtieria indicated on the Procurement Notice. The second stage of Financial proposal evaluation will be done only for the responsive offers that obtain 70% on the technical evaluation.
Kindly submit your proposals both Technical and Financial proposals to email@example.com as Annexes to IC contract available at the Procurement Notices website before the deadline of 10 Jan 2012. The proposals need to be submitted in two different envelopes or attachments - separately for Technical proposal and Financial proposal. Applicants sending their proposals in any other form will be disqualified. Applicants submitting CV only will also be disqualified.
For any clarifications, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
* Provision of technical assistance/expertise including sharing international experiences and best practices in implementing an effective public information campaign in participatory constitution making settings in particular;
* Development of advertorial materials for television, radio and print media, development of bill boards, newsletters and supplements, and development of radio and television educational programmes to promote the drafting process, hosting of the Second Stakeholder Conference and preparatory processes for the referendum;
* Technical and practical advice in developing and posting appropriate adverts, and relevant information on to the COPAC website;
* Provision of technical assistance on the effective use of social media such as face book, twitter; and
* Provision of technical expertise for effective media tracking and impact assessment of public information campaign/activities as well as monitoring and evaluation.
* General advice to COPAC/UNDP media teams in implementing effective media activities in support of the constitution making process in particular for the drafting process, the Second Stakeholder Conference and preparatory processes for the referendum;
* Effective print and electronic adverts on the constitution making process;
* Effective use of social media in popularizing the draft constitution;
* Informative and educational publicity materials (newsletters, supplements, bill boards, flyers);
* Effective memorabilia; and
* An effective monitoring and evaluation system and implementation plan.
* Familiarity with Southern Africa and/or African regional dynamics, and in particular familiarity with Zimbabwe’s development and political context is desirable
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong editing skills in English;
* The position requires a strong commitment and political maturity to handle competing needs and interests;
* Must be a strategic thinker with good organizational ability;
* Ability to work under pressure and staying calm in a highly polarized and politically charged and sensitive environment is essential;
* A firm understanding of development, governance and peace building work will be ideal for this position.
Required Skills and Experience
* Advanced degree in Mass Communications, or Journalism with mass media as specialisation
* Samples of previous work that is relevant to the scope of work for this assignment.
* Minimum ten years of relevant professional experience in the field of public information campaign, including in participation in constitution making/ building processes in particular on the African continent.
* Fluency in written and spoken English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Surveillance Detection Guard Coordinator VACANCY No: 34-2011 OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates Within and Outside of the Missio...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: OVC Specialist, Zambia Location: Zambia - Lusaka Division: International Operations Description Save the Children Summary Th...
Job Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer (Two Positions) Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan* OPEN TO INTERNAL & NON-REPRESENTED MEMBE...