Job Title: Three Areas Peace Fund (TAPF) Chief of Party, Sudan
Closing Date: Friday, 09 December 2011
Three Areas Peace Fund (TAPF) Chief of Party, Sudan Khartoum, Sudan with regular travel to Blue Nile, South Kordofan, and Abyei
Position Summary: As the senior Pact representative, based in Sudan, the TAPF Chief of Party (CoP) will lead the development of Pact's work in Sudan and the implementation, coordination, management and representation of the various projects in Sudan. The CoP is responsible for ensuring that all Pact's activities and programs in Sudan are in alignment with Pact strategy, policies and guidelines.
S/he is responsible for the implementation of the ongoing projects under the Three Areas Peace Fund. S/he will re-align and re-establish the activities on the ground. S/he will also work with staff and partners in Sudan, South Sudan, Pact Africa and Pact headquarters to identify program opportunities that are consistent with Pact priorities, and leads in-country efforts to bring those opportunities to fruition. S/he is also responsible for all senior representation work with the Sudanese Government, the donor community as well as other stakeholders in the region.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Program Leadership and Management
* Serve as team leader charged with the day-to-day execution of the program maximizing coordination between the projects.
* Coordinate the development, implementation and reporting on all work plans and reports.
* Provide, coordinate or arrange all technical assistance and administrative support activities.
* Ensure that all project deliverables are met in a high quality, cost effective and timely fashion.
* Responsible for the compilation and submission of performance reports and responses to donors, including requests for performance, success stories and financial information.
* Develop and implement appropriate security policies in alignment with Sudan and Pact headquarters security guidance.
* Lead in the management of Security and Safety Administration.
B. Program and new business development
* Build on existing body of analysis conducted and updated by Pact Sudan since 2002 to inform programs as well as Pact contributions to sector consultative and coordination mechanisms.
* Ensure that Pact continues to build programs based on strategic analysis of the Sudanese context.
* Coordinate and oversee strategic planning or Theory of Change for TAPF with support if needed from South Sudan and Pact headquarters.
* Establish and maintain working relationships with the development community in Sudan as a base for building/maintaining/expanding a sustainable country and regional program.
* Coordinate marketing and promotion of Pact within Sudan: involve program, grants, management and other staff in identifying and pursuing new business opportunities. Ensure strategic growth for Pact in Sudan in line with strategic plan and/or theory of change.
* In coordination with Pact in Juba and Washington DC offices, negotiate contracts, grants, cooperative agreements and their modifications or extensions.
* Participate in Pact worldwide strategic planning and other program development opportunities outside Sudan.
C. Capacity Building and Sub-grant Management
* Supervise and coordinate the sub-grant management process, including: o Managing the sub-grant cycle from pre-award to close-out. o Assessing the programmatic potential of proposed grants. o Assessing organizational development issues and training needs of the grantees. o Establishing and maintaining procedures for the awarding and monitoring of institutional, consultant and pilot activity subgrants made under the program. o Visiting the sites of all subgrants, as needed, funded under the program to monitor the status of projects. o Providing leadership in design and implementation of capacity building initiatives for grantees and other stakeholders.
* Coordinate with the Country Director and the Director of Administration and Finance for South Sudan to ensure that policies and procedures are clearly communicated to staff, and are respected.
* Ensure the existence and effective operation of financial controls.
* Review financial reports to ensure accuracy and completeness.
* Ensure compliance with all donor-related, Pact, and project-specific policies and reporting requirements.
* Supervise and mentor technical and management staff – seek opportunities for training and development.
* Ensure an open, fair and motivating personnel performance management system that results in high morale and high performance.
* Make final decisions regarding hiring, promotion and separation of staff.
* Ensure the development of an ethos of quality implementation and good management.
* Support continued growth of Sudanese staff through strategic, deliberate internal capacity building.
* Ensure that TAPF staff participate, to the extent possible, in Pact global initiatives, trainings, meetings focusing on ensuring participation of Sudanese staff where possible.
* Invest in consistent team building to increase cohesion between staff in all geographic areas of Sudan.
* As Chief of Party for an international NGO in a post conflict environment, contribute strategically through participation in relevant existing fora in building a vibrant civil society sector in Sudan and influencing policy, their implementation and resource allocation.
* Maintain and expand senior external relations with government, community, civil society, and international stakeholders in Sudan and affiliated with Sudan (unrelated to Pact programs and their growth).
* Represent the program with donors in Sudan.
* Represent the program with current and potential donors, the Sudanese government, UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, and others working in the assigned country.
* Coordinate with national and international partners of government and donors on common objectives and activities.
* Liaise with donor and other stakeholders on potential opportunities.
* Identify and pursue new program opportunities for Pact, with the support and coordination of South Sudan and Pact headquarters.
* Represent TAPF operations to Pact headquarters and vice versa.
F. Knowledge Management
* Continue Pact practice of sound analysis (see bullet points above).
* Ensure that the most updated information regarding the program or initiatives is shared via the designated mechanisms: any databases, the web page and the monthly highlights report.
* Facilitate and/or participate in learning communities and task forces.
* Document methodologies and results that can inform the wider Pact community (such as evaluation documents, consultant reports, workshop reports, etc.). Share and promote these resources through a variety of means (including e-mail, brownbags, the Intranet, etc.).
* Review relevant reports, evaluations, and other internal and external resources (including the tacit knowledge of individuals) as necessary to utilize Pact expertise and experience for improving program implementation.
* Ensure a response to information requests from colleagues and HQ in a timely manner.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Perform all work safely and maintain a safe working environment for self and others.
* Proven leadership ability in strategy development and to work with the regional office and Pact headquarters to link TAPF's strategy with Pact's global strategy.
* Ability to lead and inspire teams that are dispersed throughout Sudan; strong team building experience required.
* Consensus building, strategic envisioning and creative problem-solving skills.
* Ability to work and be flexible in a less than perfect environment, both politically and socially.
* Ability and willingness to travel to remote parts of Sudan and stay in rustic accommodations (e.g. tents).
* Solid experience developing, managing and understanding systems.
* Strong oral and written communications skills.
* Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
* Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets and database skills.
* Fluency in written and spoken English.
* Knowledge of Arabic a plus.
Education and Experience Requirements:
* Masters degree in relevant field – international development, conflict management, political science.
* Minimum 10 years of management experience as Chief of Party or Director in complex international settings (experience in conflict setting strongly preferred).
* Senior and sustained experience in several areas for this multi-sector position– peace and conflict, community development.
* Strong experience in overseeing the implementation of financial and program systems to responsibly work with various donor rules and regulations.
* Proven experience in developing and leading complex field-based projects in Pact's capacity building approaches with a variety of donors.
* Experience of managing a program that has several remote sub-offices throughout a country.
* Practical experience in establishing and operating programs.
* Experience in leading program development and marketing.
Disclaimer: This job description summarizes the responsibilities assigned to the position; however it does not contain an all-inclusive list of responsibilities. Periodically, employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. Employment at Pact is a voluntary "at will" relationship.
How to Apply;
To apply for this position, please fill out the online application at: https://www5.ultirecruit.com/PAC1005/JobBoard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__Job...
Closing Date: Friday, 09 December 2011
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: OVC Specialist, Zambia Location: Zambia - Lusaka Division: International Operations Description Save the Children Summary Th...
Job Title: Surveillance Detection Guard Coordinator VACANCY No: 34-2011 OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates Within and Outside of the Missio...
Job Title:Regional OPCO Lead Duties and Responsibilities: Driving all the HUB process. Responsible for EUS / ES. Responsible for...