Job Title: Nutrition Officer, Niamey, Niger
Closing Date: Thursday, 08 December 2011
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of Nutrition Officer at P4 level which will become available in our country office in Niamey, Niger. The selected candidate will be expected to travel frequently to WFP's operational areas within Niger.
Large-scale nutrition programmes that deliver nutritious complementary foods to pregnant and lactating mothers, children under five throughout the year and to children under two years during the lean season in specific areas will be implemented across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Country Director (DCD), the Nutrition Officer will perform the following tasks:
* Oversee the effective implementation of planned nutrition activities in the field in support of nutrition officers at the decentralized level;
* responsible for leadership of the WFP-nutrition project in country and for positioning the project into national strategies;
* represent the project with stakeholders in the nutrition community in country, including UNICEF, the Government (Direction of Nutrition of the Ministry of Health), the NGOs, REACH and others;
* Ensure project activities are monitored and appropriate changes to project implementation are taken when required and report to Country Office (CO) management team and other stakeholders in a timely and appropriate manner;
* advice the DCD and CO management on implementation of the Management Plan and on the application of the strategic results framework and associated monitoring and evaluation requirements as relates to nutrition activities;
* assist CO in project implementation for scaling up nutrition activities to address the needs of the most vulnerable groups; this could include pilots of innovative approaches which have the potential to be initiated or scaled up, in close consultation with WFP HQ/Regional Bureau, government and relevant partners;
* integrate initiatives addressing the utilization pillar of the food security into the nutrition activities, such as behavior-change communications (BCC), sensitization and community-based information and training;
* ensure programmes are compliant with WFP policies, criteria and procedures with regard to food and nutrition ;
* assist CO in its coordination with government/DN of the MoH, UNICEF and other actors for elaboration of national policies and programmes for child malnutrition through a multi-sect oral approach;
* liaise with technical units/agencies (UNICEF/WHO/OCHA), NGOs and research institutes on nutrition with the aim of consolidating emerging scientific and operational nutrition related evidence and data and integrate in food and nutrition strategies and guidance material for the field;
Qualifications & Experience Required Education:
* University degree, preferably at the advanced (Masters) level, in nutrition or related field. Language:
* Full proficiency (level C) in French and at least intermediate knowledge (level B) in English is essential.
* Intermediate knowledge (level B) of another UN official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish) or WFP's working language, Portuguese is an asset. Experience:
* At least 8 years of professional post degree experience in nutrition, public health , development, or food aid support, with a strong preference for significant experience working in humanitarian and development nutrition programmes .
* Experience with programming of food assistance in emergency, protracted relief and recovery and/or development contexts.
* Experience with nutrition survey methodologies, nutrition assessment and relevant data analysis, including SMART nutrition surveys.
* Experience planning and/or managing nutritional recuperation programmes (CMAM approach, TFC, OTP, SFP – "CRENMA, CRENI" ..).
* Working experience in a context similar to Niger is an asset. Technical Skills & Knowledge:
* Familiarity with the latest evidence/issues in nutrition; particularly in relation to treatment of acute malnutrition, prevention of acute and chronic malnutrition, micronutrient deficiencies, and new food products for specific nutrition purposes.
* Understanding of roles/responsibilities of different UN agencies with respect to nutrition.
* Knowledge of the logical framework approach and results-oriented monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
* Knowledge of the concept of household food and nutrition security.
* Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), internet application and research and some working knowledge of Epi Info, SPSS, ENA or similar software. Competencies:
* Effective strategic, analytic and negotiation/consensus-building skills with ability to address/resolve or avert constraints on the ground.
* Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations.
* Ability to cope with situations which may threaten health or safety.
* Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
* Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Terms and Conditions Selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, 30 days' annual vacation, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP. http://www.wfp.org Click on: "Where we work" and "Our work" to learn more about WFP's operations. http://icsc.un.org Click on: Quick Links > Salary Scales > by date http://www.unstaffmobility.org Learn more about countries where the UN operates
How to apply:
Application procedures: Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/11-0011961 Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on "Description" to read the position requirements and "Apply" to submit your application. NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Closing Date: Thursday, 08 December 2011
Thursday, 1 December 2011
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Biomedical Prevention) ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESI...
Job Title:Construction Manager Location: Monrovia, Liberia FLSA: Exempt Core Sector: Infrastructure Experience Level: Regular Full-time ...