Job title: Area Programme Manager, South Sudan
Closing Date: Wednesday, 07 December 2011
To provide effective programme management oversight of implementation of SC Southern Sudan's programme plans as well as firmly institute finance, human resources and operations systems and ensure effective representation of Save the Children to state level authorities, INGOs and NGOS, and visiting donors. The post holder will be a high performing team builder, sensitive to the cultural, political and security environment of Southern Sudan, and will be assigned an area of geographical responsibility covering one or two States.
Strategic Programme Management
* Contribute to the development, review and revision of SC Southern Sudan programme strategy. This will include participating in country child rights situational analysis, providing input and feedback on revised Country Strategy Plans and Thematic Programme Plans.
* Lead the Area Management Team (Field Programme Managers, Project Managers, Project Officers, HR Officer, Finance Officer, and Logistics Officer) in developing the Area's Annual Operational Plan according to SC guidelines, and ensuring effective delivery of the Programme. Moreover, the Area Programme Manager will engage in development & presentation of proposals.
* Over see the day to day implementation of the different Field Programmes and projects by the Field Programme Managers , Project Managers and Project Officers with direction and support from the Director of Programme Implementation, Director of Programme Development and Advocacy, Director of Finance, Director Human Resources and Director of Operations.
* Lead in compiling the quarterly ( January-March, April-June, July-September, October- December) Area Programme's progress towards accomplishment of the Annual Operational Plans and submit to Director of Programme Implementation by the 5th of the first month in the next quarter
* Lead the Area Management Teams in expanding the understanding and implementation of Child Rights Programming ( CRP) throughout the programme and that these approaches are effectively implemented
* Ensure that all area staff have a clear understanding of SC mission, vision and values, organizational goals, priorities and policy, and that is reflected in programme planning, implementation and staff conduct
* Contribute to engendering a working culture within the programme that encourages learning, flexibility and innovation throughout the programme and a greater integration and synergies between thematic programmes and across the five Areas of operations.
* Maintain an overview of the political and security context in Southern Sudan and how changes and developments may affect the programme's work and ensure that this is communicated regularly to the Senior Management Team
Oversight of Grants Management
* Ensure that Grants opening and closure meetings are held, all project work plans are closely developed as well as effectively and timely implemented by Field Programme Managers, Project Managers, and Project Officers as per stipulated Grants contracts.
* Over see and ensure that all grants have effective monitoring and evaluation systems.
* Liaise with the Director of Finance and Grants Unit to ensure that grants expenditure reports are produced monthly and disseminated to Field Programme Managers, Project Manager, and Project Officers for their review. Conduct grant and finance meetings monthly.
* On a quarterly basis, review all grants budgets to ensure that budgets are re-phased timely and spent within donor budgets and expenditure guidelines, and no-cost extensions/cost extensions are timely requested.
* Review and finalize grants reports ensuring that donor guidelines are followed and high standards met, prior to submission to the Director of Programme Implementation.
Overall Coordination of Systems Institutionalization (Human Resources, Finance and Field Operations)
* Work closely with Director of Finance, Director Human Resources and Director of Operations to ensure that SC Human Resources, Finance and Field Operations Systems are effectively established, implemented and complied within the Area, according to SC stipulated guidelines and regulations.
* Cultivate a working relationship with Director Programme Development and team of Advisors for effective programme quality.
* Contribute to strengthening co-ordination and collaboration within and across programme teams, ensuring constructive communications, building team morale (within individual teams and within the whole area team) and the development of a positive working environment.
* Demonstrate high levels of commitment to SCISS in order to ensure the objectives of this role and the country programme are met.
* Ensure the effective and efficient use of all SCISS resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace.
* Ensures that systems are in place in the Programme Area, for the control of all assets, funds, equipment, property, and facilities; submitting timely financial reports to the central office in Juba as required.
* Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control in the Programme Area including: o Annual accounts and tax statement preparation; o Accounting and management information systems; o Cash and cash flow management and control; o Expenditure procedures; o Documentation of all controls and procedures.
* Monitor and ensure effective budget responsibility for programmes and projects overseen by him/her.
* Support budget holders as appropriate in the Programme Area, in making decisions regarding budget allocations and alerting the Director of Programme Implementation and Country Director and other Director of Departments to any issues which may arise.
* Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child Safeguarding, Child Protection policy, Code of Contact, and Fraud and Dishonest policy, Gender, Diversity and non discrimination, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
* Lead, manage and motivate the Area team, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
* Ensure with support from SMT in Juba, appropriate staffing of the Area programme offices, planning and implementing specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate staff in the Area offices.
* Ensure appropriate gender and ethnic diversity within the Area programme team
* Ensure that Area staffs have clearly defined objectives and understand their responsibilities. Ensure compliance with staff development strategies and Performance Management systems and evaluations.
* Encourage a culture of learning, creativity and innovation within the Area team.
* Put a Constructive effort through coaching and ongoing support to develop the capcity of the International and National staff members, especially Senior Field Manager and Field Managers
* Lead the Area Management Team in ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of field operations and ensure that programme plans are clearly prioritized and communicated to the operations team effectively
* Conduct regular Area Management Meetings (preferably fortnightly) to enhance information sharing among Area Management Team members and effectiveness of operations.
* Work closely with the Operations Director and the Operations team in Juba to ensure adequate support in Logistics, Procurement, Administration and Construction to deliver Programme effectively of high standard.
* Serve as the security focal point for the field office and sub offices and provide regular updates and analysis to the Director of Programme Implementation, the Safety and Security Coordinator and the CD as appropriate.
* Assist in the development of security procedures and protocols for the field and sub offices and ensure an understating and adherence of the same.
* Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships and take the lead role in representing the principles and work of SC to representatives of other organizations (UN, NGOs, INGOs, counterparts, donors, government Authorities etc) who are working and visiting in the Area Programme Operations. This shall entail developing and maintaining strong working relationships with State, County and Payam level authorities ( as appropriate) and technical departments relevant to SC programme themes as well as attending all relevant regular meetings called by UN, NGOs, INGOs, counterparts, donors, and Government forums in state capitals.
* Lead efforts to improve active co-ordination and networking with government agencies, NGOs, UN agencies and other stakeholders.
* Support the Field Programme Managers, Project Managers and Project Officers to organize and facilitate the visits of SC staff from Juba, donors, the Regional Office and Headquarters to Southern Sudan.
* Produces monthly, quarterly & annual area programme reports
* Ensure grants, logistic, HR and finance reports are produced timely and to acceptable standards
* Internal (including Alliance): The post holder will be expected to work with senior management team, technical support, advisors and programme managers & with staff throughout the programme.
* External: The post holder will be expected to develop and maintain personal links and effective relationships with UN, NGOs, INGOs, Partners & Key stake holders, counterparts, donors, government Authorities of the operation Area.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please visit our website: http://www7.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_savethechildren01.asp?newms=info1
Closing Date: Wednesday, 07 December 2011
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Surveillance Detection Guard Coordinator VACANCY No: 34-2011 OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates Within and Outside of the Missio...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: OVC Specialist, Zambia Location: Zambia - Lusaka Division: International Operations Description Save the Children Summary Th...
Job Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer (Two Positions) Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan* OPEN TO INTERNAL & NON-REPRESENTED MEMBE...