Job Title: PROGRAM MANAGER I, AGRICULTURE & FOOD SECURITY/DARFUR
Requisition Number: I547
Area of Interest: Agriculture
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Sudan/Darfur Deep Field
Job Title: Program Manager I – Agriculture and Food Security, Darfur
Dept/Location: EARO/Sudan, West Darfur
Reports To: Head of Programming
Protracted conflict and complex emergency in Darfur has virtually demolished the livelihoods and hence the food security of vast segments of Darfur population; including, but not limited to, IDPs, nomad and host communities. Since 2004, CRS has been providing WFP food assistance to those groups and currently serve more than 500,000 IDPs and other vulnerable groups in West Darfur. At the same time, CRS has been supporting other integrated agriculture, livestock, water and sanitation, education, health and nutrition and shelter programs with the aim of providing basic needs and improving the coping mechanisms of conflict-torn populations. However, such emergency type programs in Darfur will inevitably evolve into recovery and development when the Darfur crisis approaches resolution and affected communities start to restore their livelihoods. CRS programs in West Darfur are therefore geared towards: building local capacities, re-establishing livelihoods, rehabilitating local markets and economies, and promoting Integral Human Development.
The Agriculture and Food Security (AG/FS) PM will actively participate in managing this transformation process in CRS programs in West Darfur, particularly in the area of Agriculture and Food Security particularly focusing on livelihoods, agriculture, and livestock programming. While supervising the implementation of CRS current AG/FS projects in West Darfur, s/he will actively participate in the design and management of new projects pursuing the above mentioned vision. Working with the CRS staff and partners, s/he will be responsible for the program and management quality of CRS AG/FS interventions in the region. S/He will also supervise and build a cadre of qualified and experienced national staff.
· Coordinate and lead assessments (such as food security, seeds and tools and livelihoods assessments) conducted by CRS, or participate in assessments conducted in coordination with other stakeholders.
· Utilize techniques such as market and/or value chain analysis to identify opportunities for Agro-enterprise and business development services opportunities.
· Assess in-country and community based human, material, and financial resources to support AG/FS programs.
· Identify prior assessments and best practices in Darfur and other areas in the field of AG/FS.
2. Program Design
· Lead the design of AG/FS programs with primary focus of gradual transformation from relief into recovery and development.
· In collaboration with the other sectors’ PMs, identify and promote Integral Human Development (IHD) opportunities.
· Develop letters of intent, MOUs and Technical Agreements with local government, NGOs and other stakeholders.
· Design capacity building plans for CRS staff and local partners.
3. Supervise and Coach programming staff
* Directly supervise national staff working in the area of livelihoods, agriculture, and livestock.
* Foster national staff development and teambuilding through coaching and mentoring.
* Support program staff in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
* Identify training needs and opportunities for staff and organize/facilitate training events as appropriate.
4. Program and Management Quality:
· Manage and monitor AG/FS projects’ expenditures and budgets.
· Prepare accurate and timely progress reports.
· Provide periodic performance indicators and reports to CRS/Northern Sudan M&E systems.
· Ensure that aspects of gender, conflict sensitivity, and IHD are fully considered throughout the project cycle.
5. Representation and communications:
· Provide regular updates to the Head of Office, the Head of Programming and the rest of the team on progress, priorities, and constraints – verbally and in writing.
· Represent CRS in different AG/FS technical and operational working groups and forums.
· Represent CRS in Darfur to different donors, local government authorities and other stakeholders in the area of AG/FS.
· Attend staff regular coordination and management meetings.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
· Serves with Integrity
· Models Stewardship
· Cultivates Constructive Relationships
· Promotes Learning
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff working in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
· Communicates strategically under pressure
· Manages stress and complexity
· Actively promotes safety and security
· Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise livelihoods, agriculture, and livestock Senior Project Officers and Project Officers.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Head of Office in Al Geneina, Head of Programming, Program Managers, Deputy Country Representative, Country Representative, and other key staff in the Darfur and Khartoum offices.
External: Host country government agents in West Darfur, UN officials, NGO agents, donor officials and local partners
1. Masters degree in Agriculture/Food Security, international development or other related field.
2. At least 4 years experience in designing and managing Food Security and Livelihood development, Rural Business Development Services and/or Agro-Enterprise development programs.
3. Ability to represent the Agency with government, UN and non-government agents.
4. Proven experience in project design and implementation, proposal-writing, budgeting and financial management.
5. Acceptance of cultural differences, basic living conditions and a continuously changing environment.
6. Strong supervisory skills and experience, especially in a multicultural setting.
7. Effectively relate, motivate and work as a team player with local staff.
8. Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and the desire to embrace the challenge of working in a complex emergency.
Physical Requirements/Environment: Position will be based in any of CRS/West Darfur offices and will require travel within West Darfur to project sites.
Foreign Language Required: Fluency in English (both oral and written skills); Arabic highly desired.
Major Responsibilities of Position: Staff management, Report Writing, Needs Assessment, Program Design, Monitoring/Evaluation, Mentoring/Training
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: This is a non-accompanied post
How to Apply:
Deadline: 8th December 2011
Thursday, 1 December 2011
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title:Construction Manager Location: Monrovia, Liberia FLSA: Exempt Core Sector: Infrastructure Experience Level: Regular Full-time ...
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Biomedical Prevention) ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESI...