Job title: Junior Situation Room Officer
Number of post: 1 (short-term)
Department: Peace and Security Directorate
Duty station: Addis Ababa
Supervisor: Situation Room Coordinator/Head of the Conflict
2. Job Purpose:
Under the direct supervision of the Situation Room Coordinator/Head of Conflict
Management Division, the Junior Officer will be responsible for the production of
updates and other products using CEWS data collection and analysis tools.
He/She will also be responsible for assisting in ensuring the quality of reports and
their dissemination to relevant stakeholders.
3. Major duties and responsibilities:
The Junior Situation Room Officer will be responsible for the following:
a. Assist in the production of daily, weekly and monthly updates from AU
sources and others;
b. Assist in putting in place quality control mechanisms for ensuring the quality
c. Ensure the quality of reports received from the field and other sources;
d. Work closely with Early Warning Officers and maintain professional working
relations with the early warning systems of the Regional Economic
e. Work Closely with the IT team of the Conflict Management Division(CMD)
during development and deployment of data collection and analysis tools
f. Assist in the Provision of training for CMD staff on the use and utilization of
CEWS data collection and analysis applications, including a field reporting
software, structural and dynamic analysis software etc.
g. Assist in organizing meetings on CEWS and ensure an effective follow-up of
the recommendations adopted during the meetings;
h. Assist in facilitating information exchange with the Observation and
Monitoring Centres of the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), UN
Agencies, CSOs and other stakeholders;
i. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Situation Room
Coordinator and the Head of the Conflict Management Division.
4. Educational Qualifications and Work Experience Required:
• Candidates must have Bachelors Degree or higher qualifications in Political
Science, International Relations, Journalism, or related social science fields;
• Candidates must have at least five (5) years of relevant working experience in an
international organization, policy research think tank or a university;
5. Other Relevant Skills Required:
• Must have technical knowledge of the customization and functioning of data
collection tools and software;
• Must have the experience of working in a multi-cultural environment and the
capacity to work under pressure;
• Must be computer literate and versed in the use of computer programs such as
word and excel;
• Must have the exposure of working on communication and data collection tools
6. Language requirement:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or
several other working languages would be an advantage.
7. Age Requirement:
Candidates must preferably be between 25 and 35 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment: The appointment shall be for an initial period of one
(1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be
renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
9. Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity
employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Application: To apply, please submit copies of degrees and diplomas
through e-recruitment website.
11. Remuneration: The salary attached to the position is an annual lumpsum
of US$ 60,247.35 inclusive of all allowances for internationally
recruited staff, and US$ 48,643.76 inclusive of all allowances for locally
How to Apply:
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org not later than 21st December 2011.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Friday, 2 December 2011
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...
Job Title:Field Accountant, DR Congo Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo - The Field Accountant is responsible for administrative field...
Job Title:Construction Manager Location: Monrovia, Liberia FLSA: Exempt Core Sector: Infrastructure Experience Level: Regular Full-time ...