Job title:PROGRAMME ANALYST - GENDER
Location : Harare, ZIMBABWE
Application Deadline : 26-Nov-11
Additional Category Democratic Governance
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : NO-B
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Dec-2011
Duration of Initial Contract : 1 year
Refer a Friend Apply Now
Gender Equality as a core objective of UNDP is implemented throughout the organization with a two-pronged approach: (i) mainstreaming gender in all core practices; and, (ii) dedicated interventions that empower women and promote gender equality. UNDPs work on gender is guided by the Beijing Platform for Action (BPFA), Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the frameworks provided by the Millennium Declaration and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ARR Governance and Gender Mainstreaming, the Programme Analyst is responsible for management of the UNDP gender programme within the governance thematic area.
She/he provides technical competence on gender issues with a holistic approach to development. In carrying out these functions, he/she will be responsible for ensuring that the skills of CO staff in gender mainstreaming are continuously enhanced and that the mainstreaming of gender as an area of focus is continuously included in all programmatic work. The Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio and provides policy advisory services. Through the head of the Governance and Gender Mainstreaming Unit, the Programme Analyst provides analysis for formulation of strategies and briefings to senior management. The Programme Analyst represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor.
The Programme Analyst supervises and leads programme staff, national consultants including UNDP technical advisors and experts. S/he works in close collaboration with the UNDP programme and operations teams, programme staff in other UN agencies, UNDP HQ staff and Government officials, technical advisers and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP governance programme delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country as they relate to governance and gender issues and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
* Identification of areas for support and interventions within the governance and gender thematic areas.
Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the governance and gender thematic areas focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
* Undertake systematic gender analysis of policy and programme documents including country offices reports in institutionalizing gender mainstreaming for development effectiveness
* Promote innovative initiatives on affirmative action in conformity with CEDAW and BPFA.
* Develop knowledge products to strengthen UNDP’s capacity to provide technical backstopping on gender issues including: conceptual clarity on gender mainstreaming, and inputs to independent research on emerging gender issues
* Develop performance indicators and guidelines for effective compliance on the MYFF gender driver.
* Develop indicators and guidelines for the Gender Score card
* Develop methodologies and guidelines for promoting effective gender mainstreaming across all practice areas and service lines on the MYFF gender driver.
* Track and monitor progress on gender mainstreaming across all core practice areas and service lines throughout the organization based on the MYFF results and the Gender Score Card.
* Lead development and implementation of training in gender mainstreaming techniques for the Country Office (including hands on training as needed)
* Work closely with national counterparts, including local and international NGOs as well as HQ to ensure gender mainstreaming and parity.
* Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
* Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
* Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to LPAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreements; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Participates in recruitment and procurement processes for projects.
* Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM projects.
* Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
* Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
* Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization
Ensures provision of top quality policy advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
* Support development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
* Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
* Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
* Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
* Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
* Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
* Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
* Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
* Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
* Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
* Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
* Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
* Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
* Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
* Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
* Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
* Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
* Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
* Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
* Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
* Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
* Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
* Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
* Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
* Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
* Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
* Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
* Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
* Self-development, initiative-taking
* Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
* Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
* Creating synergies through self-control
* Managing conflict
* Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
* Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
* Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Law, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, especially in gender studies or related field.
* 3-5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in gender sensitive programming and implementation as well as providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
* Demonstrate analytical and advocacy skills on gender issues especially with regard to policy advocacy in line with CEDAW and BFPA.
* Strong links with international, regional and national networks on gender equality and women’s rights.
* Experience in capacity building, gender mainstreaming and gender auditing required
* Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
* Fluency in the UN and national languages of the duty station
How to Apply:
Application Deadline : 26-Nov-11
Job Title:Administrative Officer (Director of Management and Operations Overseas) Agency:Peace Corps Sub Agency:Peace Corps Job Announcem...
Job Title: Health Knowledge, Practices and Coverage Survey Consultant, Juba, South Sudan Closing Date: Thursday, 22 December 2011 The Inter...
Job Title: OVC Specialist, Zambia Location: Zambia - Lusaka Division: International Operations Description Save the Children Summary Th...
Job Title:Regional OPCO Lead Duties and Responsibilities: Driving all the HUB process. Responsible for EUS / ES. Responsible for...
Job Title: Senior Program Management Specialist FROM : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICE, USAID/ETHIOPIA SUBJECT : JOB/VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. ...